March 15, 2015 @ 9 am
Worship in Action is coming up next Sunday, March 15! Signup sheets will be outside the worship building on the patio following both services this morning. On the 15th, we’ll meet in the worship building for a brief service at 9:00 AM and then head out to serve our community. As always, projects will be available to suit all ages and all levels of physical ability, but in any case, remember to wear comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty; if you have an Orchard t-shirt, this would be a great time to use it! We will provide bottled water for everyone, but you may want to bring your own bottle and also some snacks for energy. In a slight change from earlier announcements we will have a couple of work sites instead of just one, but all will be very close to each other in the Saticoy area. Here are the projects we have lined up:
Mobile Home Parks
- Stardust Mobile Estates & Ventura Country Estates: we’ll be helping residents (mostly seniors) with a variety of projects around their homes, such as yard cleanup, window washing, hauling away trash, and doing general maintenance around the house. Most of these folks are incapable of doing the work on their own, so not only will we be meeting a genuine need, we’ll be making personal connections that let them know we care and, most importantly, that God cares.
- Playground maintenance: this is a great kid-friendly activity. We’ll be repainting some of the equipment in the playground and doing some general cleanup. Kids at Cabrillo will feel the love when they see their shiny new play area!
- Laundry room cleanup: the laundry facility shared by Cabrillo residents could use a little TLC. Let’s make it sparkle!
- Kids activities: we’ll be hosting face painting for younger kids and some additional activities for older kids to encourage Cabrillo’s youth to come out and join us.
- Breakfast in a Bag / Lemonade Stand: for folks that can’t do any of the more physically demanding projects, we’ll be making our usual instant oatmeal breakfast bags to distribute to kids in need, but with a slight twist this time – we’re going to move the project to Cabrillo Village where we’ll set up tables and a tent near the playground so we can all enjoy the fresh air and sunshine together. We’re also going to incorporate a lemonade and snack stand to provide refreshments for our volunteers and any Cabrillo residents that want to drop by and say hi.
As always, lunch will be provided for everyone, but again with a slight change – instead of coming back to Orchard, we’re going to bring bag lunches out to Cabrillo Village, where we’ll invite the residents to come join us for a picnic. Lunch will be served at Cabrillo at 12:30; depending on how work is progressing at the mobile home sites, we may bring bag lunches out the mobile home parks to allow the projects to continue later and also provide more fellowship time with the people we’re serving. Since we’ll need to move tables and chairs from Orchard to Cabrillo for lunch, we need some volunteers with trucks and / or strong backs to serve as our moving crew – please take a look at the signup sheets on the patio following the service today!
Final details, maps, and directions will be provided after the worship service next week. Please note that parking may be limited at the sites, so we encourage everyone to carpool as much as possible – take the opportunity to make a new friend! If you have any questions (or would like to volunteer to help lead this event!), please contact Jeremy Jacob at email@example.com.
James 2:14-17 — What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.