Each year for the last 13 years Community Christmas Shoppes throughout Ventura County have provided Christmas gifts for thousands of families in need. This ministry brings together social service agencies and other area churches to invite low-income families to shop for Christmas gifts for their children at no cost. The one-day event includes breakfast (or lunch), child care while parents shop, children’s activities, activity & resource booths, music & entertainment, prayer with families, and photos with Santa. As the host church, we are privileged to be a witness of the real meaning of Christmas to the community.
Here’s what people had to say last year:
“The gifts were great quality. I think my kids are going to be over-the-moon excited. I’m so happy.”
“I think there’s a lot of good people (here) that care for others.”
“I think God’s really proud of all the people that donated…happy that all the families are being helped out so they can have a nice Christmas, on his birthday.”
How can you help?
- Bring new unwrapped toys to fill our toy collection boxes in the lobby or church office (beginning October 29). A list of suggested toys is available.
Critical need: gifts for teens (Gift cards, Movie Passes, Sporting Goods, Ipod, Nerf Guns…etc)
- Host a toy collection box at your place of business, school, or at a business you use.
- Donate money for “super shoppers” to shop for toys.
- Make checks out to ACTION, with memo “Ventura Shoppe” and drop in the offering basket, bring by the church office, or mail in pre-addressed ACTION envelope (available in the toy collection boxes). You can also donate online at www.actionvc.org
- Join with your small group or family to provide big-ticket items, such as bicycles, tablets, or computers.
- Volunteer! We’ll have sign-ups on our patio beginning November 12. Or volunteer online at www.actionvc.org.
- Critical need: bilingual (Invite neighbors or co-workers to participate.)
- Pray! This is a volunteer-run ministry depending on God for His provision of gifts, team leaders, and volunteers.
Christmas Shoppe isn’t just about the gifts. It’s about bringing the love of Jesus to those who might not know Him if it weren’t for this ministry. For some families, Christmas Shoppe is a supplement; for others, it is the only way they can provide Christmas gifts to their children.
Have questions? Contact Lauri Kail – email@example.com.